Saturday, February 15, 2014

Advocacy

The word advocate means "a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy" (Dictionary.com). Some synonyms are: "supporter, promoter, fighter, crusader."

On Wednesday, we met orphans in a rural area north of Kigali who are just beginning their ZOE journey.  This was their third meeting as a group, and as Cameron mentions we were able to witness them write about their dreams. As I think about dreams as a child, I wanted to be a firefighter at one point, a doctor at another, and to run track in the Olympics. It is fun to dream, to Think Big, to have the confidence to be bold in those thoughts. As a child, I was able to do so because of my family, particularly my grandparents. They were my constant advocate and my grandmother specifically still is today at 92 years old. It was stricking to me as we met this group, supported by Buncombe United Methodist Church (Greenville, SC), and Mike and Kim Osler (Mike was on the trip with us), how ZOE builds confidence, self esteem, pride in themselves and in their community. This group, even at meeting number three, in their first few weeks is going to be special. 

We met four children who told us their stories which they are currently living in each and every day. Stories of homelessness, hunger, murder of a parent, sexual abuse, prostitution for food, no money for a doctors appointment for her child's eye injury, one set of clothes to wear, and the impact of these regarding loss of dignity, confidence, and feeling ashamed. This was a powerful day for each one of us. I have had to process this for several days as I was mad at those who would abuse these children. It was hard to see them leave this meeting and venture back into these situations. What gave me hope, and peace is their love for our God, and they have ZOE as an advocate, and therefore each one of usas their advocate. I know these orphans just starting this journey are going to be cared for, loved by one another, and God has a plan for each of their dreams. 

I know I speak for Jason, Price, Cameron and I on how humbled we are to represent our church, our community on this mission trip. We were able to see the face of God in each of these children. I know with all my heart his love and grace are ways in which he serves as an advocate ALL his children every day. I am proud of what our church community has been doing to pray and support our group, New Hope, but also all of the 8000+ orphans involved in ZOE across Rwanda.

One of the dream drawing. This dream is to own rabbits and to have food. 


The four that I referenced above sharing their stories with our group. 


No comments:

Post a Comment